19 Jul 2012

Seattle’s annual Fourth of July show takes place just six blocks from our house and brings the chaos of over 50,000 people into our neighborhood. We began seeing the preparation for the event in the week leading up to it – street closure signs, neighbors barricading curbs, and bus route detour notices. Because I believe the Fourth isn’t the Fourth unless you attend the city-sponsored firework show, I began mapping out my plan of attendance and attack also in the week leading up. One of the toughest points in my plan always is convincing my husband he has to take part. He’s more the anti-crowd, don’t we just want to stay at home and go to bed / turn-the-Fourth-into-another-weekend-day kind of person.


Just as I was polishing off my plan and had Henric convinced to participate, though, we got an invitation from a colleague of his for a frontrow terrace view of the firework show and jumped at it (though it did mean me giving up a good five hour reading session delving deeper into book five of Game of Thrones as I staked out our spot in the park but sometimes sacrifices must be made…).


Seattlites love to say summer doesn’t start until the 5th of July and true to form, the evening was gorgeous but still a bit chilly. The addition of sweaters and blankets was a big shift from Austin’s normal Fourth spent in swimming pools and tank tops but added a northwestern coziness to the whole affair. The party was a great time; the views of Lake Union, downtown and the fireworks were incredible; and the food and company was amazing. All-around a really nice way to start the summer inSeattle.


Until of course the fireworks started and Anabelle decided she didn’t like the noise so I had to hold her the whole time curled in a ball, crying about how loud it was. Fortunately it doesn’t get dark here until after 10pm and the show didn’t start until 10:20 so whether from terror or exhaustion or the exhaustion of being terrified, she fell asleep about five minutes into the spectacle and I spent the rest of the show waiting for some big boom that would startle her into peeing her pants and leave me with wet jeans and smelling like pee the rest of the night. Thankfully, it didn’t happen and I got to enjoy a stunning, really long firework show in dry comfort.


The ride home was probably the most exciting part of the evening. We had foreseen major traffic and parking issues and rode the bus to the party. The ride there was about 20 minutes. The ride home took over two hours – most of it spent in standstill traffic. Luckily there were a lot of inebriated people on the bus (my husband may or may not have been one of them) and a cheerful and talkative bus driver to entertain us the whole way home. All in all, a really successful evening.


  • Mallory - July 19, 2012

    How awesome that you got a great viewing spot without having to fight for a spot at Gas Works. But your commute home after the show would have probably been shorter. I’ve lived in Seattle 10 years and truthfully have never seen the fireworks…maybe next year.

  • Mom - July 24, 2012

    Sounded like fun & worth the slow drive home!

Add comment