02 Apr 2013

(Part II of Jannik’s three-part birth story. Catch Part I, here)


Nashville starts at 10pm and my labor began with the opening credits. Suddenly I felt very uncomfortable and unable to sit down. I pulled out the yoga ball and tried to sit and kneel on it but an overwhelming discomfort was totally messing with my tv viewing. By 10:30, when Jayme announced she was heading to bed (apparently watching Hayden Panettiere sing country-pop was as awesome as I thought), I was pretty sure it was game time.


I made it through Nashville but by the time it was over I was in so much pain I couldn’t speak through the contractions. At 11:00, I called my midwife, Sally, to tell her I was in labor. She offered to come right over but I told her to wait, I had only been having contractions for an hour. Yes, things were super painful, much more painful than they had ever been with Anabelle, but still, an hour in and I’m going to have the midwife come? That’s like those people that go to the hospital with Braxton-Hicks. I’m not one of those people – I am a birthing champion.


Sally suggested I get in the shower to help relieve some of the pain. The thirty minutes in that shower with hot water beating down on my back was my day of reckoning. Leading up to Anabelle’s birth, we had taken twelve weeks of Bradley birthing classes. I went into that birthing process prepared. Ready for the 48 hour labor. Ready to doubt myself, ready to hit that moment in transition where I would think I couldn’t do this. Through seven hours of labor, though, that moment never came. It was tough, it was painful but I never thought I couldn’t make it and I never doubted myself. We showed up at the hospital and I was already at 10 and pushing.


This time, I’m an hour in and I’m pretty sure I’m going to die. I called Henric into the shower and told him he needed to pray and lay hands on me. (For real, I told my German Lutheran husband it was time for hand laying). After 30 minutes in the shower, I moved back into our “birthing room” (aka office). For the next 15 minutes I gave myself a pep talk while Henric held a hot water bottle on my lower back and ice pads on my neck. I reminded myself that I ran a marathon. It sucked and lasted a lot longer than an hour and a half. There was rain and wind and chafing. I can do this. Then my other self would say, “There’s an easier way – it’s called a hospital. This is super stupid and painful. I already proved I’m a birthing champion once. There isn’t even a medal for this.”


By 11:45 I told Henric it was time to call Sally back and tell her to get here – now. A few minutes later, I headed to the bathroom to sit on the toilet, hoping it would relieve some of the pressure. Henric called Sally and came into the bathroom just as my water broke. When my water broke with Anabelle, I was sitting on our bed, on Henric’s lap. For the following two hours, I sloshed amniotic fluid throughout the house and made such a mess that Henric rushed home from the hospital after the delivery to do a pre-cleaning before the cleaning lady showed up for her regular visit. Breaking over the toilet is so much more convenient.


Once my water broke, I felt an immediate release of pressure – physically and emotionally. I could see a light at the end of the tunnel. This baby was going to come out. Within a couple of hours, the baby would be born, I thought. I can do this.


Henric stepped out of the bathroom and two minutes later, still sitting on the toilet, I felt a sudden pressure in my nether regions. I moved my hand down to my vagina and felt the baby’s head coming out.


  • Christina - April 2, 2013

    This was like reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy. My blood pressure is up, I have great anticipation, and then it just ends. Damn you and your tired fingers! Just finish the story!

  • Carmen - April 2, 2013

    Congratulations on your beautiful baby-boy!!!! Wish the best for all of you four! Carmen

  • jayme - April 2, 2013

    I must have been boiling water when you told henric to pray for you…i can’t belive I missed that

  • Candy - April 2, 2013

    I am with Christina on this finish that story already. You are a birthing champion pushing them babies out in no time at all……

  • Christine - April 2, 2013

    > This time, I’m an hour in and I’m pretty sure I’m going to die.

    Yeah, that sounds like baby #2. Bradley gets you so READY for #1, right? I totally would have demanded epidural for Sabine had a doctor bothered to walk into room during the worst 2 hours or so.

    (And, hey, sometimes early pre-term labor is confusing, When you’ve been having 15-30 min contractions for 2 days, you can end up in hospital and then have to do the labor & delivery walk of shame back to your car all the same.)

  • EILEEN DUITSCHER - April 3, 2013

    Enjod your story…and the pictures…Another beautiful memory for you to enjoy forever espcially when you write it down..Don’t get too busy to read it over and over..Love you and keep up being a good MOMMY.

  • melissa - April 3, 2013

    Jayme – I think you should write a post for me about your side of the story! (You can include the mean moments I left out :) )

  • melissa - April 3, 2013

    I had to creatively edit some photos so Mom wouldn’t get upset!

Add comment